Home > FAQs > Do I need a Green Card if towing in Europe after Brexit?

Do I need a Green Card if towing in Europe after Brexit?

Posted on

Should you be planning a trip to an EU country (including Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein), you will need new documentation from your tow vehicle insurer.

Now the UK has left the EU, motorists from the UK will need to carry a Green Card to tow their caravan or trailer in the EU from January 2021.

Please also check your passport is valid for travel.

To request a Green Card for 2021 travel, you must contact your tow vehicle insurance provider.

In general, you will not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving in most EU countries for up to 90 days, but you must carry your driving licence photo card with you. There are some exceptions where an IDP might be needed:

  • If you only have a paper licence (no photo card)
  • If your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

You can also keep up-to-date and request alerts from the Government’s visiting Europe after Brexit website: www.gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit.

Get a quote for

Close ×

Retrieve a quote for

Close ×