News and Views

Home > Latest news > Do I need a Green Card for driving my motorhome in Europe?

Do I need a Green Card for driving my motorhome in Europe?

Posted on

The European Commission announced that from August 2021, UK drivers will no longer need a Green Card to show proof of insurance when taking their vehicles into an EU country (or Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein). You can find out more here: Vehicle insurance: Driving abroad.

Driving a motorhome in Europe

If you’re driving your motorhome or campervan in the EU, your Supersure motorhome insurance documents will be sufficient and will give you the same level of cover that you have in the UK.

From January 1st, 2022 we will no longer send a Green Card to motorhome insurance policyholders who have EU cover.

You’ll need a copy of your motorhome insurance (including your certificate of insurance) to prove you’re insured for driving in the EU.

Do I need a Green Card for a trailer?


Driving in Europe

In general, you will not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving in most EU countries for up to 90 days, but you must carry your driving licence photo card with you. There are some exceptions where an IDP might be needed:

  • If you only have a paper licence (no photo card)
  • If your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

You must display a UK sticker on your motorhome and any trailer when travelling in an EU country if your number plates do not include the UK identifier.

You can keep up-to-date and request alerts from the Government’s visiting the EU website.

Browse latest news

Get a quote for

Close ×

CaSSOA Storage Disocunt

Close ×

When you store your caravan at a CaSSOA Platinum, Gold or Silver approved storage site your premium will be lower than it would be on a storage site in the same postcode area.

Platinum and Gold approved CaSSOA sites get the largest savings. Silver approved CaSSOA sites get a smaller insurance discount. To check if your storage site has CaSSOA approval visit Note discounts are subject to minimum premiums.

Retrieve a quote for

Close ×